Dr Rajkumar has been the Chairman of the Association of Surgeons of India, TN&P chapter for the year 2011-12. He founded a trust in 1997 called ‘Dr Rajarathnam Medical and Educational Foundation’ which provides free service to HIV and cancer patients.
Awards and Recognitions
1. Vaidya Ratna Award from President Abdul Kalam
2. Dr KS Sanjivi Award which is given to doctors with social commitment for health and medicare services to poor and needy
3. Dr V Chandrasekhar Gold Medal Endowment: IMA, Trichy, Rtn
4. Dr NC Raghavachari Award for Exemplary Service to the Community - Health
5. Seva Ratna Award for recognizing services to the society by PR Syndicate
6. Lifetime Achievement Award from the Lions Club District
Dr. Rajkumar graduated from Madras Medical College, Chennai with 32 gold medals. During his post graduation, he received four FRCS to his credit. He then trained in the United Kingdom under senior surgeons on advanced general surgery and hepato-biliary and pancreatic surgery.
Medical work history of Dr. JS Rajkumar is as follows:
1. Chairman – Lifeline Group of Hospitals. Chennai
2. Chairman ( 2011-2012 ) TN&P, Association of Surgeons of India
3. Examiner – National Board of Examinations
4. Examiner – Royal College of Surgeons
5. Visiting Professor of Surgery – Sri Balaji Medical College, Chennai
6. Visiting Professor of Surgery – Rajah Muthaiah Medical College, Chidambaram
7. Editor – Digestive Surgery, Indian Edition
8. Director – Doctor’s Medical College, Chennai
9. Founder Member – College of Surgeons of India, New Delhi
10. Mentor for Advanced Laparoscopy, Indian Association of Gastroenterologists and Endosurgeons
11. Mentor for Colorectal and Obesity Surgery – COVIDIEN
12. Mentor for Obesity / Hernia /Advanced Lap Surgeries – ETHICON
Dr. Rajkumar had a successful case with treating a 36-year-old diabetic by cutting 170 cm off from his intestine and moving it closer to the stomach to cure him, a method of treatment which started in Brazil a decade ago.
A team of doctors from a private hospital which included Dr. JS Rajkumar successfully performed bariatric surgery (sleeve gastrectomy) on a 108 kg woman for weight reduction in Puducherry.
Dr. JS Rajkumar, along with a few other doctors, helped save the life of a 46-year-old surgeon on board a Kolkata-Chennai flight. The surgeon fell unconscious and lost pulse and was revived using the technique of Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
Scalpel Scribbles: Dr. JS Rajkumar has authored the book Scalpel Scribbles which is a collection of poems and short stories that focus on his ruminations and memories of real incidents. These include the 2004 Kumbakonam fire accident that claimed the lives of children, and a few other incidents.